The Upperthong Gala is the pinnacle of all the events in Upperthong. It is a three day extravaganza held on the Upperthong Cricket Club field. It quite simply brings together all that is good in life – great community spirit, great food, great music, great dancing, great neighbours and not to mention the World Championshop Welly Wanging competition.
The fun starts on Friday evening with an adults only evening of music, dancing, drinking and eating. In the huge marquee we squeeze in a full lighting rig, a stage, a fully licensed bar, a BBQ and even a few tables to rest your weary legs after busting some moves on the dancefloor. Music is provided by one of the country’s best live tribute bands Queen II, and our own local resident DJ Gary Duncan.
Food on the night will be our regular barbecue, plus a thai inspired curry. I’m looking forward to that already !!!!!
The evening starts at around 7pm and goes on till 1am.
“We were new to Upperthong village and didn’t know a soul at our first Gala disco. With two young children it was also our first ‘proper’ night out in some time. Our initial shyness was soon overcome – everyone was very friendly, the food was superb, the band were fantastic and the DJ even managed to get us dancing for the first time in 5 years !!. It’s now such a must on our calendar we even plan our summer holidays around it.”
The ticket price for 2012 will remain at £10 (£12 on the door). A paltry amount for the quality and quantity of entertainment on offer. Tickets are always on sale well before the evening and with only 500 available – usually sell out. Tickets can be bought by calling our ‘booking line’ on 01484 682500 or by popping into the The Royal Oak pub in Towngate, Upperthong. Admission is strictly over 21s only, due to licensing regulations.
Saturday typically starts around tea time with plenty to eat and drink all over again. The bar is opened and the BBQ is fired up. This tear we are starting slightly earlier with a kids disco at 4. The Gala Queen Pageant starts at 6, followed by the six finalists of this year’s Upperthong Has Talent competition. All this fun is then topped off with a family disco provided by Gary Duncan.
From 4pm. Free entry.
Sunday is traditionally the main gala day for all the families in Upperthong and the Holme Valley. 2012 will have an Best of British theme! Vistors to our Upperthong Gala will be treated to….
- Welly Wanging World ChampionshipThis is going to be huge this year and we will crown some World Champions. We have a dedicated marquee, trophies for men, women, girls and boys champions, some sponsorship and a definate global reach for king of summer fete competitions.
- A morning church service at St John’s Church followed by procession through the Village with the Gala Queen and her Attendants.
- Fantastic barbeque and well stocked bar
- Music from Slaithwaite Brass Band
- Face Painting
- Punch and Judy
- A Zumba class for all ages with the team from Talk Active
- Bouncy Castle
- Lots of games and tests of skills
- Judging of the children’s village competition (entry forms available from LanePlay Group)
- Childrens races
- The Grand Raffle
- Stalls selling a variety of products.
- The Women’s Institute are also on hand to serve refreshments and sell home-made cakes when your legs get a little weary.
“Lots of games and lots of fun, plenty to eat, and plenty to drink!”
Adults £2. Children under 12 are free.
Alas, no WWII Spitfire fly over this year. Something about them busy doing Jubilee and Olympic warm up type events – as if those are more popular than then Upperthong Gala.